Bienvenue en New Orleans!

INSPIRE was born out of a dream that God would take a bunch of average, ordinary, messed-up people & do something great through them. We want to live like Jesus, for Jesus... No games. No hype, No pretense. Just Jesus. We ain't there yet, by a long shot, but we'd love for you to take the journey with us! - Pastor Jeff

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Eating Elephants & Climbing Mountains

Somewhere along the way, I got this crazy idea that everything I do has got to be done now.

And done perfectly. Like, perfectly perfect. The first time. No exceptions. And no excuses.

Is it my perfectionism? (I have wrestled with that over the years, but I don't think that's it.)

Is it some character flaw or odd personality trait? (Well, I certainly have plenty of both, but I don't think that's it, either.)

Genetic quirk? (I, uh... Have more-or-less normal parents, so... Probably not.)

Maybe I'm still trying to prove myself to my father? (Nah. Dad's always been supportive of me.)

So... What could it be?

Why do I have this insane desire to get it right the first time or not do it at all?

Why do I get paralyzed pursuing perfection?

Why can't I ever settle for "progress" & "improvement"?!

I mean, seriously: I NEVER get it right the first time! Not even close!

Or the second.

Usually not the third, either.



And then I usually quit.

Why can't I just learn to "eat an elephant" or "climb a mountain" when it comes to those projects & tasks that are clearly big than me?

You know what I mean: you don't eat an elephant all at once (now, that provokes a disturbing visual, doesn't it?!), nor can you climb a mountain all at once, either... You have to take it one bite (for the elephant, obviously) at a time & one step (for the mountain; duh) at a time.

But if you keep biting & if you keep stepping, eventually you get there.

So tomorrow, I'm going to grab a bite of elephant & head off to Mount Everest.

Wich me luck! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment